Baby molly food
How to Care for Freshwater Baby Molly Fish
••• Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
Updated April 24, 2017
By Sonia Fernandez
The molly (Poecilia sphenops) is a popular fish for the beginning aquarist. They're attractive and hardy and, given enough space, can get along with others. Mollies belong to a class of fish called livebearers. They don't lay eggs; their young come out swimming. And they are prolific breeders as well.
Molly babies get no protection from their parents. The tiny fish are just as likely to be eaten by their own mother as they are by other fish in the aquarium, so to survive they're going to need a little help.
Gather the babies. The best-case scenario would be to have the pregnant female in a breeding box or net suspended in the water of the aquarium. In the case of a breeding box, the babies would drop into another compartment of the box and the mother would already be separated. In the case of a breeding net, you would have to scoop the mother out. If you can't get to the gravid female in time, you may need to capture the little ones and separate them from the other fish in the aquarium. Then you can use the breeding box, net or the separate tank to isolate the fry until they get large enough to fend for themselves.
If chasing tiny mollies around the aquarium doesn't do it for you (it also stresses them out), or if you just want to give the babies a little more protection, add real or artificial plants to the tank. Plants with leaves that float to the top of the tank will give the little ones a place to hide as they feed. Breeding grass also works for this purpose.
Feed your fish. Baby mollies can eat your regular fish flakes, crushed finely. Live baby brine shrimp are also a popular baby food. Do not overfeed them. In about eight weeks your baby mollies should be large enough to go into the tank with the other fish.
Things You'll Need
- Fish breeding box or net
- Separate tank, filled with water (optional)
- Fish net, or other means of scooping out fish
- Fish food
Preparation is the best insurance toward successfully caring for your molly fry. Plants should be in place, the pregnant females already separated. It saves you the time and effort of trying to separate the fish after they have been born.
Mollies are prolific breeders, so to control the population it's recommended that the sexes are kept separate. Males have a gonopodium, a modified anal fin used for reproduction. You can determine a young fish's gender after about 12 weeks.
Keep the babies' habitat clean. The breeder box or tank will need to be cleaned and its water changed. In a breeding net, the fry are exposed to the same water conditions the rest of the tank is experiencing.
Cannibalism is normal with mollies and other livebearers like guppies and platys. As fecund as they are, you don't really need to worry about saving every last one.
- FishLore.com: Livebearer Fish Species
- wetwebmedia.com: The Truth About Mollies
- Preparation is the best insurance toward successfully caring for your molly fry. Plants should be in place, the pregnant females already separated. It saves you the time and effort of trying to separate the fish after they have been born.
- Mollies are prolific breeders, so to control the population it's recommended that the sexes are kept separate. Males have a gonopodium, a modified anal fin used for reproduction. You can determine a young fish's gender after about 12 weeks.
- Keep the babies' habitat clean. The breeder box or tank will need to be cleaned and its water changed. In a breeding net, the fry are exposed to the same water conditions the rest of the tank is experiencing.
- Cannibalism is normal with mollies and other livebearers like guppies and platys. As fecund as they are, you don't really need to worry about saving every last one.
About the Author
Sonia Fernandez is a writer living in Santa Barbara, California. Her background is primarily in news, as a general assignment reporter for a local news website, but she also does the occasional magazine feature, Web article, short story or travel piece. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of California, Santa Barbara.
Molly Fish Fry Care - How to Care for Baby Mollies?
This page may contain affiliate links, which will earn us a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Molly fish breed easily and frequently, but they aren’t fish that will continue caring for their fry after they’re born. In fact, adult mollies most often end up abandoning or even eating their fry.
If you want baby mollies to survive, you’ll need to care for them yourself by separating them from adult fish and feeding them foods suitable for small fry.
In this guide, I will teach you how to care for baby mollies including how to save them from adult fish, how to feed them and how to maintain a molly fry tank.
How Mollies Are Born?
As live-breeders, mollies spawn completely formed fry that skip the egg stage and are ready to swim and feed in just a couple of hours.
Molly males become reproductive at 12 months, while females reach reproductive age at 6 months. Female mollies carry the eggs for about 30-45 days.
There aren’t any special requirements for breeding, it’s enough to simply keep male and female mollies in the same aquarium and breeding will occur without any further intervention.
The female molly will have an enlarged abdomen and will start looking for shelter in a darker corner of the aquarium as she’s preparing to give birth to the fry.
Spawning usually takes place in the early hours of the morning and the fry of some molly breeds are rather large (e.g. black molly fry).
The fry will hide in the leaves of the aquarium plants and they’ll stay low for a couple of hours until they’re ready to feed and swim.
How to Save Molly Fry?
If your molly fish produced fry in a community aquarium, don’t expect the fry to survive. Adult mollies and other fish will certainly mistake them for a tasty snack.
If you want to avoid spawning to occur in a community tank, avoid keeping both male and female molly fish in the same aquarium.
However, in cases of misidentified gender, it may happen that even against your wishes, female and male molly fish may end up in a community aquarium and breed.
Below, I’ll discuss some of the ways you can salvage the fry when they’re born into a community aquarium.
Ideally, you should have a separate breeding tank for the female molly fish and the breeding tank should match the parameters of the origin tank.
After the female molly fish has dropped the fry, you should remove her, so you can continue caring for the fry yourself and prevent the female molly from eating the fry.
Now, even if you don’t have a separate breeding tank, there are ways to save at least some molly fry:
- Use a large plastic container or glass jar to extract the female as she’s about the give birth and keep her separated from the other adult fish in your tank. Once she has dropped the fry, you can remove her and continue caring for the fry.
- A second method to separate the female molly fish and the fry is to install a breeding box into the main tank, which is a plastic mesh or container that’s designed to allow water to flow through, without allowing other fish into the mesh.
This method is the easiest if you don’t want to worry about matching the water parameters of the main tank as you would have to do with other methods of separating the fry from the adults.
- The third option is less desirable and its success rate in saving the fry isn’t as high, but it can help if you’re caught off guard. Adding plants to the tank such as java moss, hornworts, guppy grass or roots of water lettuce can provide hiding spaces for the fry for a few weeks until they grow large enough to not be mistaken for food by the other fish.
The next step in caring for the fry will depend on which method you’ve chosen from the above. If you’ve chosen to use a glass jar or plastic container, depending on its size, you may need to transfer the fry in a nursing aquarium, where you can offer them the proper conditions for growing.
Likewise, you can’t keep them in the breeding box for too long either.
How Long Can You Keep Molly Fry in a Breeding Box?Molly Fry in Breeding Box
Setting up a breeding box is probably the easiest way to save molly babies from being eaten by adult fish.
However, you shouldn’t keep them more than 2 weeks in the breeding box, because this will significantly stunt their growth, which is undesirable regardless of whether you’re raising mollies for commercial purposes or as a hobby.
Larger mollies can release as many as a hundred fry at once, therefore, it’s easy to understand how so many fry can quickly outgrow their breeding box.
At about 2 weeks, molly juveniles are large enough to not be mistaken for food anymore and you can release them into the main tank or you can set up their own aquarium.
Feeding Molly Fish Fry
For fast growth, molly fish fry need a diversified diet and require frequent feedings with small amounts of food. These fish are constantly hungry because of their fast digestion cycle.
Since molly babies are so small, their mouth opening is also very small, therefore, you’ll need to procure size-appropriate foods that will fit their mouths.
The digestion cycle of molly fry is short, therefore, they’ll be ready to eat as soon as every half hour. You shouldn’t feed them that often, of course, but you should aim for at least 5 feedings a day.
As with any fish or fry, overfeeding can be a problem. Also, scoop out any uneaten food so as not to foul the aquarium.
If you’re keeping molly juveniles in the same tank with the adults, you can feed them whatever you’re feeding the adults, just remember to crush the flake foods or larger foods, so it will fit their mouths.
There are flakes like First Bites designed for feeding small fry, so you can opt for those instead, especially that they’re rich in protein to sustain rapid growth.
Live foods are another excellent food choice for small molly fry, and you can opt for baby brine shrimp, vinegar eels, daphnia, micro worms. If live food is not available, frozen or freeze-dried can be a good alternative.
Another protein-rich food source that I like to use when feeding small fry is hard-boiled egg yolk made into a paste. It’s easy to prepare, readily available in your fridge, and not to mention very cheap. I add small amounts of the paste once or twice a day.
A varied diet will strengthen the fry and will stimulate their growth.
Molly Fry Tank Maintenance
If you haven’t set up a separate tank for your mollies and you continue to keep them in the same aquarium with the other fish, tank parameters should be kept stable and water changes should be regular as molly fry are more sensitive to high toxin levels.
If you decide to set up a nursery tank for the fry, here’s what you should aim for:
1.Tank Size & Filtration
Depending on the number of molly babies, set up a tank between 10 and 20 gallons. Add a fry-safe filter system to keep the water clean in addition to performing regular water changes.
Add some plants to the tank too such as java ferns and grasses.
Aim for a temperature a little above the temperature in the main tank (80 °F maximum). Warmer water speeds up metabolism and encourages the fry to eat more. In turn, this will help them grow faster.
To keep the aquarium heated at the optimal water temperature, you’ll require a heater to ensure consistent temperature.
3. Water Changes
To keep toxin levels low and refresh the water, aim for frequent partial water changes. I recommend 50% water changes twice a week. This will also facilitate the growth of your fry.
Water changes, of course, also depend on the number of fry you have and the size of your tank. Depending on how you stock your tank, you may get away with fewer water changes or you may need to perform more frequent water changes.
Offer your fry 12-16 hours of light each day and 6-8 hours of darkness for rest. Good light conditions will ensure the healthy development of your fish.
Now that you know more about breeding mollies and caring for baby mollies, you can look forward to breeding your molly fish.
As you can see, raising molly fish fry isn’t particularly difficult, but you do need to take some precautions to save the fry and to maintain optimal tank conditions.
Unlike adult molly fish that are hardier, the fry is more sensible to high toxin levels or sudden changes in water temperature.
I encourage you to familiarize yourself with their requirements before attempting to breed molly fish. Feed them a varied diet, keep their water clean and tidy, and you’ll be rewarded with healthy and active fish.
AVGROUP / Molly O'Brian Boutique Hotel
Molly O'Brian Boutique Hotel deservedly bears the title of "The Best Hotel of 2015 in Khanty-Mansiysk". We understand how important a comfortable stay, quality food and excellent service are. Our hotel and restaurant complex is only 4 years old, but we have already gained a reputation as a reliable hotel partner.
Accommodation in Molly O'Brian has a number of undeniable advantages:
- Location in an ecological, historical place of Khanty-Mansiysk, on the very bank of the Irtysh and at the foot of the ski resort. New, modern, well equipped, with a high level of service.
- We provide fast, comfortable hotel accommodation.
- Our European restaurant will please you with a large selection of various dishes, a brutal democratic bar will offer an elite collection of wines, drinks and snacks.
- You can hold business negotiations in cozy VIP rooms.
- In a small but very cozy sauna, you can relieve stress after a tiring everyday life.
- We organize extreme tours for you, plunging into the amazing taiga authentic world of the North, and a professional guide will introduce you to the unusual sights of Khanty-Mansiysk.
The Molly O'Brian restaurant in 2014 was awarded the "Best Consumer Market Enterprise" pennant and the "Best Catering Enterprise 2014" diploma, and over the next 3 years, the Molly O'Brian restaurant and hotel complex was deservedly awarded 30 diplomas of the highest categories.
Molly O'Brian is ready to offer you an individual approach, we are ready to provide prompt assistance to our guests 24 hours a day!
Molly O'Brian Boutique Hotel offers its guests accommodation in one of 17 cozy rooms, designed in a modern and elegant European style using the most advanced technologies. The hotel has 11 Suites with categories Junior Room, Senior Room, Family Room, Executive Room and 6 Standard rooms.
Modern rooms are decorated in a classic style and create maximum comfort. All rooms are equipped with chic Italian furniture made of natural wood, beds with orthopedic mattresses. Textiles and lighting from leading European manufacturers. Each room has: from 1 to 3 LCD TVs, safes, air conditioners, tea sets. German minibars are filled with elite alcoholic and non-alcoholic products. In the bathroom, guests will be pleasantly surprised by high-quality Italian perfumes, high-quality Austrian sanitary ware, professional hair dryers, branded terry products.
The room is cleaned daily or at the request of the guest. Breakfasts are included in the cost of living, at the choice of the guest: English or continental.
- Grocery delivery
- Air conditioner
- Non-smoking throughout
- Packed lunches
- Gift Shop
- Honeymoon Suite
- VIP services
- Family rooms
- Non-smoking rooms
- Press delivery
- Food and drink delivery to room
- BBQ Accessories (additional charge)
- Sauna (included in the price)
- Pets are allowed upon prior request.
Sports and recreation
- Evening program (additional charge)
Food and drink
- Room service
- Special diet menus (on request)
- Snack bar
- Restaurant (menu)
- Breakfast in the room
- VIP rooms
- Wi-Fi is available in the entire hotel and is free of charge.
- Private parking on site (reservation not required)
- Parking spaces for people with disabilities
- Street parking
- Concierge services
- Ticketing services
- 24-hour front desk
- Waking up guests at a certain time
- Business center services, document printing (colour, black and white)
- Delivery to the correspondence number upon receipt
- Flower delivery
- Daily housekeeping
- Shoe shine
- Ironing services (additional charge)
- Laundry (additional charge)
- Service "Evening service", performed from 18:00 to 20:00
Business center services
- Conference / Banquet Hall (additional charge)
Calorie rabbit baby food. Chemical composition and nutritional value.
Chemical composition and nutritional analysis
Nutritional information and chemical composition"rabbit baby food" .
The table shows the content of nutrients (calories, proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals) per 100 grams of the edible part.
|Nutrient||Quantity||Norm**||% of the norm in 100 g||% of the norm in 100 kcal||100% normal|
|Calories||119 kcal||1684 kcal||7. 1%||6%||1415 g|
|Proteins||10.3 g||76 g||13.6%||11.4%||738 g|
|Fats||7.5 g||56 g||13.4%||11.3%||747 g|
|Carbohydrates||2.5 g||219 g||1.1%||0.9%||8760 g|
The energy value of rabbit baby food is 119 kcal.
Primary source: Created in the application by the user. More.
** This table shows the average norms of vitamins and minerals for an adult. If you want to know the norms based on your gender, age and other factors, then use the application "My Healthy Diet"
Calorie content and chemical composition of other products
- blueberry sauce
- Capital buns
- 26 Steamed lazy dumplings with chickpeas
- pickle with kidneys
- cream sauce
- mashed potatoes
- Fresh cabbage salad with cucumber
- quick-frozen vegetables "Lecho"
- chickpeas with vegetables
- Muslin Cream
- Vegetarian cabbage soup
- HBF Zoological
- pumpkin pie on kefir 02. 12.2015
- cutlets 2.10
- amaranth biscuits
- amaranth balls
- traditional Danone yogurt 3.3%
- cottage cheese casserole with hercules, apples, raisins
- coconut flakes
- Boiled homemade milk
- crab sticks
- crabs. lettuce
- French Meat December 3, 2015
- chicken with vegetables my
- mix salad
- Jam with sugar substitute 15ml
- sugared ginger
- milk porridge with pumpkin and rice
- Dukan Pancakes
- curd Valio soft fat-free
- Pie Tsvetaevsky original
- Vegetable mix dated 03. 12.15
- Sweet and sour sauce
- pink salmon and bean salad
- eco chocolate with cereal balls
- rye dihleb bread
- cereal bar with strawberries
- Whole-grain oatmeal loaves
- Corn porridge
- Yeast-free dietary bread
- squash caviar with mayonnaise
- Salmon caviar granular
- Vareniki with sauerkraut
- curd molly
- Pancakes in the oven
- goose with apple
- pine nuts
- Potato pie
- cheese with ham
- dark chocolate
- Corned cottage cheese Prostokvashino 7%
- Lucky Days milk caramel with cookies
- Chicken fillet baked with cheese and sour cream
- fruit yogurt beautiful
- Processed chicken fillet (for recipes)
- cabbage pie
- Cold smoked salmon
- fried beef cutlet
- Hochland cheese with herbs in slices (17. 5g)
- Braised cabbage with sausage
- MazSport Chocolate Nuts
- Curd dessert
- soup .3.12
- Fruate Strawberry-Kiwi Yoghurt
- beef cutlet
- Dutch Cheese President 45%
- Italian pie, shortbread pie with filling, cherry
- Tiramisu 03. 12.15
- Pasta Shebekinsky (spiral)
- stewed potatoes
- Naval pasta
- Wheat bran
- Greek yogurt 0% 30g 2 tbsp
- Frozen strawberries 140g
- Soup with mushrooms 03.12.15
- Nescafe: 3 in 1 coffee
- Frozen vegetables 85g
- Canned chickpeas 50ml
- Chinese cabbage salad
- Curd Kirovsky 5%
- Kirovskoe milk 3.