Pure spoon baby food reviews
Pure Spoon Organic Purees Perfect for Baby & Beyond! – Smart Mommy Healthy BabySkip to content
I actually learned about Pure Spoon from a PR contact – always searching for new additions to the Baby & Kids Food Directory, I was happy to learn about this mom-owned company and its USDA Organic vegetable and fruit purees.
Pure Spoon is an Austin, Texas based company that is dedicated to the development of delicious and healthy organic fruit and vegetable purées made with the innovative cool-temperature, High-Pressure Pasteurization (HPP) process, which delivers more flavor and nutritional value than traditional high-heat pasteurization. It is used only by a few baby food companies but you can really taste the difference!
The company’s Founder and CEO, Alyson Eberle, started Pure Spoon because she was unhappy with most baby food being made from pre-made and processed base ingredients and cooked in ready-to-eat containers. She launched Pure Spoon and became the first company in the U.S. to use the HPP for making baby food.
Every recipe is individually created in cooperation with licensed pediatric dietitians to offer the most nutrition possible while keeping the purees super yummy. Pure Spoon has been certified organic by both the USDA and Nature’s International Certification Services. Don’t they look great??
Pure Spoon USDA Organic Baby Purees made with HPP
All purées are hand-made in the company’s allergen-free, certified organic commercial kitchen, using only fresh produce which remains raw or is lightly steamed for maximum nutrition and flavor. The food is free from preservatives, additives, color, or anything else that isn’t simply food. In addition, the purees offered are seasonal, so that the recipes only contain the freshest of ingredients every time.
The company is also dedicated to transparency – offering the purees in 100% transparent cups so that you can see every bit. The packaging is also 100% recyclable.
As relates to the packaging – it is the right size for small hands too as it is easy to hold and it also fits well into a small lunchbag. Of course you need an adult to open the inner seal (which keeps in the freshness and flavor) but once open, a little one can easily eat from it. The amount is just right too and I love how it is a clear container.
The full assortment is organic and the flavors are clever. We tried the following:
1. Creamy Avocado & Pears (Stage 1) – We started with this one as pears are always a hit with our less than perfect eater. The avocado adds a bit of substance and supplies creaminess. The two flavors work well together and the kids both loved it. It works well with little cubes of chicken on the side for toddlers and beyond but it would be great on its own too for the younger ones. No added sugars, preservatives, or anything that is not needed.
2. Apples & Broccoli (Stage 2) – The apples and broccoli complement each other well and the natural sweetness of the apple balances out the underlying earthiness of the broccoli. The blend is smooth without chunks or broccoli buds. The kids liked it but it was not their favorite.
3. Carrots & Zucchini (Stage 2) – I thought this one tasted good but was on the sweet side. It has no added sugar (and certainly nothing artificial) and all the sweetness is derived from the organic grape juice. This one was my kids least favorite flavor.
4. Spinach, Pear & Banana Puree (Stage 2) – this flavor is a keeper! My 3-year-old devoured it as her snack one evening after her dinner. The flavors are well balanced, the texture super creamy, and you can taste the spinach but it is not bitter, the sweetness of the pear and the slightly neutral taste of banana round it out well.
5. Butternut Squash, Apples and Oats (Stage 2) – this puree feels a bit more substantial, perhaps because of the oats, and that makes it even better as s side for dinner. It is more filling and slightly thicker too and my 3-year old loved it. It is a well-balanced flavor and none of the ingredients overpowers the others. Again, no additives of any kind.
6. Sweet Potato & Apple Puree (Stage 1) – the flavors are good and the texture is creamy, with the sweet potato giving it a bit of thickness. It is also a bit on the sweeter side but not overpoweringly so. The natural sweetness is good, though, because there is no resistance from the kids when presented with veggies and that is definitely a plus!
We still have a few flavors to try (Simply Carrots, Simply Pears, Simply Apples) but going by our experience, we are sure we will love them!
Check out my little one enjoying one of the flavors!
Pure Spoon Baby Puree Organic
In fact, we love them so much that we are going to make Pure Spoon purees a part of our 3-year-old’s lunch bag and alternate it with another fab organic HPP kid puree. Pure Spoon is a perfect snack for her – just pure organic veggies and fruits, no added sugar, no added flavors, no added anything that should not be there! It is perfect for picky eaters, or at least for our picky eater.
If your kids are picky too (or even if they are not), try Pure Spoon! It is healthy, safe, practical, and delicious!
Leave a Comment...
Hi! I'm Eva, the founder, blogger, and product reviewer at Smart Mommy Healthy Baby. Smart Mommy Healthy Baby is a popular one-stop, time-saving resource for moms and pregnant moms-to-be who want to find non-toxic, eco-friendly, natural, and organic products for their own, their babies' and their families' personal use as well as for their homes.
CategoriesCategoriesSelect CategoryCoupon & Promo CodesGeneral TopicsGiveawayshazardous materials & ingredientshealthy baby baby food products baby productssmart mommy food products household products personal care productssmart mommy’s product reviewsvideo product reviews
SUBMIT A PRODUCT FOR SMART MOMMY REVIEW
If you have a product that you want Smart Mommy to try and write about, please let us know! Or if you are a mom that wants to connect and share product information let us know too!
Contact Smart Mommy
Go to Top
Pure Spoon Review: Cold-Pasteurized Organic and Allergen-free Baby and Toddler Foods that are Made from Scratch
For Moms, Moms-To-Be & Babies 6 Months+*
Of course every parent wishes they had time to make their baby’s food from scratch while only using the freshest and most pure ingredients. Unfortunately, finding the time – and energy for that matter – to do this can be down right impossible! And that’s where Pure Spoon steps in! As the creator of 100% Organic and allergen-free cold-pasteurized purees, you can be sure that you are doing the absolute best for your babies’ nutritional needs – and their taste buds!
Keep reading to find out more…
Pure Spoon is the original creator of cold-pasteurized purees that are 100% Organic and allergen-free. Made in Austin, Texas, only raw, organic ingredients are delivered straight to their facility and then hand-made in small batches from scratch. Furthermore, all of their products either remain raw or are lightly steamed, since steaming does not deplete crucial nutrients and flavor as much as boiling them does.
Originally designed for babies, parents of older children were excited that there was a healthy, fresher option for their picky eaters and kids that refused to eat their fruits and veggies. During demos, the kids devoured the purées and had no idea they were getting a nutrient-packed snack filled with broccoli, spinach, etc. – and so now they are marketed to young kids of all ages!
Packed in 4.2 ounce containers, Pure Spoon quickly found that the standard sized 3.5 ounces simply wasn’t enough food for each serving. More food = more nutrition.
Currently, available in 11 varieties, Pure Spoon works with a licensed dietitian to make sure they packed in as many “super foods” as possible into their recipes. One of their primary concerns was the lack of iron found in the food choices for young children/infants at the grocery store and is why they carefully included ingredients such as spinach, avocados, broccoli, and gluten-free rolled oats to give you the best bang for your buck [when it comes to iron] for little tummies. They are constantly playing in their kitchen and making new recipes, so if you’re looking for something in particular, feel free to reach out – or just stay-tuned because you may be seeing it soon!
As a new mother, Alyson, the founder of Pure Spoon, felt the same pressures that most of us do: she wanted her baby to be the happiest, healthiest baby, and knew it was up to her husband and herself to make that happen.
When her daughter, Riley approached the 6 month mark and was ready to try food, they knew they wanted to continue to feed her in the most healthful way possible, and, quite frankly, didn’t think doing so would be such a big deal. However, it only took one stroll down the baby food aisle to disavow that notion.
Everywhere they turned there was nothing but synthetic junk: jars and plastic pouches filled with over-processed ingredients – some of which they couldn’t even pronounce. In addition, everything offered was shelf-stable which they learned happens after the food is cooked in the packaging and often made with pre-made/ pre-processed purees. [So, you mean, they cook this food in the plastic? Yes, they do!] They also learned that the food lost a ton of nutrition and flavor when doing this. Disgusted by what they saw there, they headed to the produce section instead and gathered up fresh, local, Organic goodies.
Back home, Alyson whipped up her very first batch of puree. As her friends and family members started to ask not only about the purees but also about how she got her daughter to be such a voraciously healthy eater, she began to realize that she wasn’t the only one who sought healthy, fresh puree options. It was just that most parents were too overwhelmed to make their own.
Soon after, Alyson learned about a process called High Pressure Pasteurization (HPP), which would allow her to pasteurize the purees without having to heat them, thereby retaining those fresh tastes and a maximum amount of nutrients. And just like that, Pure Spoon was born.
Now Welcome, Daphne Oz!:
Meet Pure Spoon’s Chief Innovation Officer, Daphne Oz! She’s also a chef, Emmy Award-winning television host, and New York Times-bestselling author. As co-host of ABC’s The Chew for its first six seasons, Daphne engaged viewers to see wholesome eating as a way to indulge with her signature “happy and healthy” recipes. Now, she is thrilled to share this expertise to help Pure Spoon provide mamas and their little ones with the freshest and most deliciously nourishing baby food on the planet.
Daphne received her A.B.degree from Princeton University, and is a graduate of The Institute for Integrative Nutrition and the Natural Gourmet Institute. She and her husband John welcomed their third child – a baby girl – in December 2017.
At Pure Spoon, all of their recipes are hand-made using only fresh, never frozen, produce, which remains raw or is lightly steamed for maximum nutrition and flavor. Every batch is made to order. The food is 100% pure and free from preservatives, additives, color, or anything else that isn’t simply food. It isn’t over-processed, canned, jarred or pouched.
In fact, Pure Spoon uses high pressure pasteurization (HPP) to pasteurize all of their recipes. HPP uses pressure, not extreme heat, to lock in more nutrition, texture and flavor of food. Simply put, pasteurizing with pressure keeps food fresher and safer. A lot of nutrition (and flavor) can be lost when pasteurizing with heat, which is why Pure Spoon’s ingredients are never boiled. Plus, since they are refrigerated, their recipes do not have to be processed in a way to allow for extended, room-temperature shelf-life, as in a pouch.
Because a pouch isn’t fresh. Their goal is to give you a fresher, more nutrient-packed option. Pure Spoon’s primary concern is not shelf-life, it’s about giving you the absolute best food possible. Moreover, they only use fresh, Organic food for great taste and nutrition. All of their nutrients are naturally occurring in fresh food, and they do not add supplements or fortify their foods in any way.
Pure Spoon is Certified Organic by Nature’s International Certification Services. All of their purées are made in an allergen-free, Certified Organic commercial kitchen.
*Pure Spoon purees are great for kids and adults of all ages. Free of every allergen, all of their foods are 100% Organic and made with only pure-unaltered ingredients. Since babies are not intended to eat solids before the age of 6-months, that is when I too recommend that they can begin with Pure Spoon purees.
WHERE TO BUY:
You can conveniently purchase Pure Spoon directly from their Online Store, or please visit their Store Locator for the location that sells them nearest you.
There’s nothing more precious than an infant, and we as parents want to do everything we can to keep them as healthy and happy as possible. From buying Organic clothing to rocking them to sleep every night, there is nothing a parent won’t do for their little bundle of joy.
However, the problem arises when we don’t realize that what we are doing isn’t “the best”. This is often the case when it comes to giving our child their first foods. We hear recommendations from our pediatricians and from the mainstream media, and then come to the conclusion that the most common jarred foods are the best. Unfortunately, this isn’t the case – with the majority of them being just plain nasty (in regards to nutrition)!
But how many of us really have the time to make our own foods and purees?! Thankfully, that’s where Pure Spoon steps in! With 11 varieties – and counting – of freshly made Organic purees for your littlest of family members, you will never have to worry about over-analyzing food labels and wondering how “healthy” the products you are giving your baby or toddler really is again! Because with Pure Spoon, you can be assured that you are giving them the best!
Whether your child prefers to eat the food straight out of the fridge, or wants their foods to be slightly warmed, Pure Spoon has something for every age and every stage!
Try any or all of Pure Spoon’s purees today (for your infant, toddler or even yourself!) and find out how delicious these pure, allergen-friendly foods can be! Because it’s those small steps that make healthy living a lifestyle – so why not take one today?!
For more information about Pure Spoon, please visit their website and check them out on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter.
And don’t forget to CONTACT Healthy Fit Fab Moms today to learn how we can help you and your family live a healthy, fit, and fabulous life! Please LIKE us on Facebook and FOLLOW us on Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to stay connected as well!90,000 Nestle Military Multi -Lotzlakaya porridge with an apple and banan 200 gr
- Form of release
- Dry milk 200.0 in UP
- Country Country
- Store in a dry place
- Keep out of reach of children0003
- flour (wheat (57%) (contains gluten), oats (7.9%) (contains gluten), rice (2%), corn (2%), skimmed milk powder (16.6%) , mixture of vegetable oils (low erucic rapeseed, sunflower high oleic, sunflower), antioxidants (L-ascorbyl palmitate, alpha-tocopherol, citric acid), banana flakes (2. 6%), apple flakes (1.5%), minerals (calcium carbonate, iron (II) fumarate, zinc sulfate, potassium iodide), vitamins (C (L-ascorbic acid), E (DL-alpha-tocopherol acetate), PP (nicotinamide), B5 (D-calcium pantothenate), A ( retinol acetate), B1 (thiamine mononitrate), B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), B2 (riboflavin), B96 CFU/g
- The NESTLE brand is the world's largest food manufacturer.
- Nestle Milk multi-cereal porridge with apple and banana from 6 months 200g with bifidobacteria BL
- Milk multi-cereal porridge with apple and banana for feeding children over 6 months according to the legislation of the Russian Federation.
- The porridge is prepared using the special CHE grain-breaking technology.
- Thanks to this, a natural sweet taste appears in the product, the porridge is better absorbed and has an increased nutritional value. Porridge is a healthy balanced food for healthy children.
- Enriched with probiotics - live bifidobacteria BL. They contribute to the normalization of digestion, the growth of healthy microflora and the strengthening of immunity, which is very important during the introduction of complementary foods.
- Porridge contains a complex of vitamins and minerals iRON + for healthy growth and development.
- Nutritional value: Proteins (g): 3.2
- Nutritional value: Fats (g): 2.5
- Nutritional value: Carbohydrates (g): 15.2
9001 value (Kcal): 98
- Energy value (kJ): 411
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Mother's milk is the ideal food for a baby. The World Health Organization recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months and subsequent introduction of complementary foods if breastfeeding continues. Nestlé supports this recommendation. To decide on the timing and method of introducing this product into the diet of a child, a specialist consultation is necessary.
- for nutrition of children older than 6 months
- Individual intolerance to the components of the product.
Dosage and administration
- Follow the instructions on the package.
- Do not store diluted porridge left after feeding.
- Start complementary foods with 1 tablespoon of porridge diluted with 4-5 tablespoons of breast milk, water, or infant formula that your baby is on.
- Gradually increase the amount of porridge to one whole serving.
- 1. Wash your hands and take clean dishes
- 2. Boil drinking water for 5 minutes. and let it cool down to 40°C. Pour 4-5 tablespoons of water into a clean plate.
- 3. Measure dry porridge (1 tablespoon) into a separate bowl.
- 4. Gradually add dry porridge to the bowl of water, stirring continuously until smooth.
- Feed your baby with a clean spoon.
- Do not boil! Feed your baby with a clean spoon. Porridge should be cooked immediately before each feeding. Do not store diluted porridge left after feeding.
- from 2 ℃ to 25 ℃
Special storage conditions
- Closed Pacific Store in a dry place at a temperature of not more than 25? C and relative humidity not more than 75 %. After preparing the porridge, the opened package should be tightly closed. After opening the package, the product should be stored for no more than 2 weeks.
Organization authorized to accept claims
- Nestle Russia LLC
- 115054 Moscow, Pavletskaya sub. 2 page 1
- [email protected]. com
- 8 (800) 200-20-55
— How to dilute infant formula?
- Clean hands, strictly in the recommended proportions, in sterile dishes. This is basic!
- Can infant formula be diluted with anything other than water? Can expressed breast milk be used to dilute it?
- Infant formula is diluted only with water, otherwise we will not be able to calculate calories correctly. And there is no point in breeding it with breast milk - the food itself is tasty and of high quality, if we are talking about an adapted milk formula.
- Is it necessary to dilute infant formula with boiled water?
- Ideally, use special bottled water for children. More stringent requirements are imposed on its quality, so it undergoes additional cleaning. In addition, in the production of such water, unlike an adult product, silver and carbon dioxide are not used, and the level of micro- and macroelements is carefully regulated.
As for dilution, I still recommend using boiled water.
- Why is whole cow's milk not used to dilute the mixture?
- Nutrition contains EVERYTHING that the baby needs. Nothing else is required. In addition, whole milk is highly not recommended for children under one year old, and preferably up to three!
- What should be added to the container first: mixture or water?
- Just water! And carefully look at the risks on the bottle so that the volume is correct. If you pour the mixture first, then it will be impossible to correctly calculate the volume of water. But the volume of the mixture is under control thanks to measuring spoons.
- How much mixture is required to dilute one serving?
- There are several formulas, or ways, to calculate the amount of mixture needed for a baby. You can use this plate or look at the bank: the manufacturer also gives his instructions. It is important to understand one thing - all these figures are advisory in nature. Each child is individual, he can eat more or, conversely, less than the recommended amount. And that's okay.
- How to correctly calculate how much formula a child should eat? What are the best calculation methods to use?
- You can calculate according to the Reich formula - the weight of the child (g) is divided by his height (cm), after which we multiply by seven. Thus, we get the daily volume of the mixture, after which we distribute it according to the number of meals.
There is another calculation option - Shkarin's formula: a child at 2 months old eats 800 ml of milk per day. For each week missing before this age, we subtract 50 ml, and for each month older, we add 50 ml.
where n is the number of weeks of life (for babies under 2 months) and the number of months (for children over 2 months)
- Is there a universal step-by-step algorithm for preparing infant formula?
Let's take a look at this sequence:
- Be sure to wash your hands with soap and water first.
- The bottle, nipple and mixing spoon should already be sterilized beforehand.
- Heat bottled water - ideally use a separate saucepan or kettle for this.
- Pour the desired amount of warm water into the bottle.
- Pour the required number of scoops of mixture into it.
- Mix thoroughly. I usually recommend using a silicone spoon for this, which will then need to be rinsed and sterilized for the next lunch or dinner.
- Control the temperature of food in a simple grandmother's way - put a couple of drops on your wrist. If all is well, feed the baby.
- Olesya Vladimirovna, what about night feedings?
- I know very well how tired mothers are and how you want to sleep at night, but still I recommend getting up and preparing food as needed, and not in advance. Older children can dilute the mixture in the evening and store it in a thermos. Then the whole task in the middle of the night will only be to pour food into a bottle and feed the awakened baby.
- What temperature should the reconstituted infant formula be?
- Approximately like body temperature, 36-37 degrees is the best and most comfortable option.
- How do you know if the mixture is too cold or too hot for the baby?
- Of course, there are special thermometers, but, as a rule, we use a simple method - we drip the mixture on the wrist or try it. In the second case, it is important to understand that we are tasting with a clean spoon. You can’t drink from a bottle or pacifier, it’s extremely unhygienic.
- How to warm up infant formula?
- If you dilute the mixture and it is not warm enough, put the bottle in a container of hot water for a few minutes, then give it a good shake and check the temperature on your wrist.
Do not use a microwave to heat the mixture - food warms up unevenly in it, and there is a risk of burning the baby.
- Can special thermoses be used to store reconstituted infant formula?
There are also baby food warmers. You can use them, and thermoses. But I would still recommend doing this in extreme cases, only when absolutely necessary.
- How long can infant formula be stored at room temperature after reconstitution?
As a pediatrician, I cannot recommend this. There is a risk! In addition, if you dilute the mixture in advance, then what about later? Warm up? And where is the guarantee that it has not sour? The initial souring processes can not always be caught even by taste, however, such a mixture can already cause an upset stomach.
- Can a previously diluted mixture be mixed with a new serving of food?
— No, this is unacceptable. And why?
- How long can infant formula be kept in the refrigerator? Is it possible to give the child a mixture from the refrigerator, which he did not finish?
- The diluted "clean" mixture, that is, the one that the child has not yet eaten, can be stored in the refrigerator for about a day. I do not see the point and need in this, but it is not prohibited. But you can’t store food that the baby hasn’t eaten!
- How should reconstituted infant formula be stored in the refrigerator?
- In a sterile container: most often this is done in the same bottle, from which they then plan to feed the child.
- Can reconstituted infant formula be frozen?
- Purely theoretically, this can be done, but I do not see the benefit and need for freezing at all.
There is nothing difficult in the organization of artificial feeding. The main thing is to remember the simple rules for diluting the mixture, to ensure the sterility of dishes, clean hands and optimal food temperature.
* Breast milk is the best food for babies. WHO recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months of a child's life and continued breastfeeding after complementary foods are introduced until the age of 2 years. Before introducing new products into the baby's diet, you should consult with a specialist.