Beechnut baby food jar crafts
Springtime Glass Baby Food Jar DIY Ideas from Beech-Nut®
Whenever spring rolls around, we love putting together fun arts and crafts for the family to work on to help add fresh ideas to your home and garden decor! These ideas come from Beech-Nut® Ambassador moms and mom bloggers, who have lots of creativity when it comes to #upcycling our glass baby food jars. Below are three ideas for spring DIYs; let us know what you think! And as always, tag us on Instagram @beechnutfoods to show us your work!
Beech-Nut® Bunny Vase
- What you need:
- White acrylic paint and paint brush
- Sharpie black and pink markers
- Hemp thread or ribbon
- Some jellybeans to snack on while you wait for the paint to dry
- What to do:
- To peel the labels off our jars, fill a sink with your empty jars and cover with the hottest water possible. Pour in about half a box of baking soda, and leave overnight. Peel up the corner, and the labels should come off super easily!
- Dry the jars and paint the outside with white paint. Let dry.
- Draw on the bunny face using the permanent markers.
- Add ribbon or hemp string for added decor, and then put flowers inside!
- Idea credit: to our mom ambassador Becca Roberts
Earth Day Planter Jars
- What you need:
- Empty jars
- Potting soil and assorted seeds
- Toothpicks and permanent marker
- Water & sunshine!
- What to do:
- This is a great DIY idea to do outside on the porch or at the park with kids. Give them empty jars and a small bag of potting soil, and then follow the instructions on your chosen seed packets to push seeds the right depth into each jar.
- Top with a little water and add the popsicle stick to indicate the plant or veggie that’s coming!
- Idea credit: mom blogger Food Allergy P. I.
Kentucky Derby Decor
- What you need:
- Empty glass jars
- Pink spray paint
- White paper or white acrylic paint
- Letter stickers in a shiny color like gold
- Southern charm
- What to do:
- See tip above for removing the labels from our honeypot baby food jars!
- Put down some newspaper to protect your workspace. Then spray paint the tops & sides of the jar lids with pink.
- While you wait for those to dry, you can either paint the inside of the jars with white, or place a piece of white paper inside to create a shadow-box effect.
- Place your letter stickers on the outside of the jars, spelling D-E-R-B-Y or another phrase.
- Make yourself a mint julep to celebrate horse racing season! The Kentucky Derby is run on the first Saturday in May in Louisville, Kentucky. A great excuse for a party, if you ask us!
- Idea credit: NerdBabesCo, our fabulous friend Carrie who has an #upcycling shop on Etsy!
50+ Fantastic Ways to Re-Use Baby Food Jars
Home » Crafts for kids » 50+ Creative Ways to Re-Use Baby Food Jars
Last updated on
50+ baby food jar crafts and creative ways to re-use baby food jars so you don’t have to put throw them in the trash.
If you’ve had a baby in recent years, there’s a good chance you’ve acquired quite a collection of baby food jars. Baby food jars ares so cute and chubby, and such a great size. If you’re like me, you find it hard to thrown them away. If that’s the case, your baby food jar collection could be growing at an alarming rate, and you’re probably looking for things to make with all of those jars.
Well, you’re in luck! One of my Facebook followers recently asked for ways that she could re-purpose her baby food jars, and the HH community responded with dozens of great crafts made with baby food jars along with practical ways to use baby food jars in and around the home.
I’ve gathered up their best suggestions and added a few of my own favourite uses for baby food jars, and I’ve come up with this long list of ideas for you.
From the craft room to the classroom to the bathroom and beyond, here are over 50 ways for you to use leftover baby food jars so you don’t have to toss them out.
50+ Baby Food Jar Crafts
Click on the links below to see project details.
Ways to use baby food jars in the classroom or craft room:
- Crayon Caddy: Paint several baby food jars and store co-ordinating, coloured crayons in them.
- Fill baby food jars with water, and set on the art table to rinse paint brushes in.
- Give each student in the class a baby food jar filled with cream, and make homemade butter together.
- Make a mini “ocean in a jar” in a baby food jar. Pretty on classroom window sill or fun to play with.
- Soak dried out markers in baby food jars to make liquid watercolour paint.
- Make and store homemade finger paint in baby food jars.
- Baby food jars make great paint and glue pots at the easel. Lids keep them from drying out between uses.
- Punch holes in the lids (with a nail) and use jars to store and dispense glitter.
- Make I-Spy Jars in baby food jars.
- Make collection jars for the preschool classroom.
- Fill with small amounts of water for syringe transfer work trays in preschool or kindergarten
- Paint tall baby food jars with food coloring, water and glue for a frosted look. Store pens, pencils and paintbrushes in them.
Things to make for kids with baby food jars:
- Play dough jars: fill several baby food jars with different colours of homemade play dough for a kids’ gift basket.
- Set some baby food jars out in the rain and make this scented rain paint.
- In the play kitchen: fill baby food jars with flour, rice, lentils etc. Glue the lids on, and kids can pretend-cook with them.
- Bug Jars – wrap a pipe cleaner handle around the top, and go exploring in the yard.
- Make these cute and quirky emoji jars for a kid’s dresser or desk.
- Glue painted toy animals on baby food jar lids, use as party favours.
- Fill with homemade slime or silly putty to put in loot bags.
- Make a tooth fairy jar.
- Teach kids how to manage their allowance with 3 tall baby food jars labeled SPEND, SAVE, BANK.
- Make an advent or countdown calendar.
- Fill baby food jars with layers of “coloured sand” (ground sidewalk chalk mixed with salt).
- Use baby food jars to make mini lava-lamps.
Ways to re-use baby food jars in the kitchen:
- Make magnetic spice jars to store on the refrigerator door
- Organize your spice drawer with baby food jars.
- Make Smore’s treats in baby food jars. Hand them out around the campfire or at a party.
- Make a window-sill herb garden with baby food jars.
- Fill baby food jars with condiments for camping or a bbq.
- Sterilize jars and lids, and reuse baby food jars for homemade baby food. The serving sizes are perfect.
Gifts and party favours to make with baby food jars:
- Baby food jars make great wedding favours. Decorate and place at each table setting.
- These baby food jar lanterns were hung in a tree at an outdoor wedding.
- Make Lego Head Jars as party favours for a Lego party.
- Make mini calming jars for kids or co-workers
- Make a wish jars or dream jars for your family and friends.
- Give a gift of homemade bath salts or sugar scrub in a baby food jar.
- Make these cupcakes in a jar to give to teachers, neighbours and friends.
- Make a craft kit for a child by filling jars with pom poms, sequins, foam stickers, and beads.
- Hot Cocoa in a baby food jar: layer hot chocolate, shaved chocolate and mini marshmallows in a jar. Cover the lid with a swatch of fabric tied with a ribbon.
Other ways to use baby food jars around the home and garden:
- Store pony tail holders, Q-tips, and hair clips in baby food jars on the bathroom counter.
- Make a spill proof nail-polish remover kit with a baby food jar.
- Plant succulents in baby food jars to display on a porch or patio.
- Hang these colourful baby food luminaries from a tree in your yard.
- Baby food jars are great for storing seeds for the garden.
- Make Photo Globes by placing your child’s photo inside a baby food jar.
- Organize your spare change: each jar holds a different type of coin.
- Use baby food jars to hold paper clips, thumb tacks etc. on a desk or in a drawer in an office.
- Travel jewelry keeper for earrings and rings.
- A Mini sewing kit in a baby food jar is great for travel or the office.
- Fill baby food jars with Puffs, fishy crackers, Cheerios, nuts etc. Keep in the diaper bag for the kids.
- Nail the lids of baby food jars to the underside of a shelf to store screws, nails and craft supplies.
- Store several baby wipes in a baby food jar and keep in your purse or diaper bag.
Baby food jar Christmas crafts:
- Turn a baby food jar into a snowman Christmas tree ornament.
- Make festive holiday votive candle holders.
- Make sparkly tea light luminaries in baby food jars.
- Baby food jars make great miniature snow globes.
- Make Reindeer food for Christmas Eve.
What if you STILL have leftover baby food jars?
If you have more baby food jars than you could possibly ever use, even after reviewing all of the ideas, please consider giving your collection to a teacher, a crafter or a daycare provider. Most will be happy to put your little glass jars to good use.
Looking for more crafts to make with your recyclables? Check out:
Re-purposed Denim Craft Aprons
Re-purposed Denim Bibs
25 Creative Ways to Re-use your Keurig’s K-Cups
22 Ways to Re-Use Cardboard Tubes
Follow the Hooligans on Facebook!
Jackie is a mom, wife, home daycare provider, and the creative spirit behind Happy Hooligans. She specializes in kids’ crafts and activities, easy recipes, and parenting. She began blogging in 2011, and today, Happy Hooligans inspires more than 2 million parents, caregivers and Early Years Professionals all over the globe.
Crafts from baby food jars
Skip to content
The kid happily devoured the puree, smearing its contents over all surfaces. And the jar was carefully washed out and sent to the shelf to its fellows. What to do with her?
There are many ideas for using glass baby food jars. Website "Mom can do anything!" collected the most interesting of them. nine0003
- Needle cases. It is easy to make such cute needle beds from glass jars that will fit buttons and other small handicraft things.
- Houses for fairies. If you are fond of modeling, then you should try to make such a delightful house for fairies.
- Aquarium. A jar is a small aquarium for a toy fish. Pour soil inside, install algae - the craft is ready. You can also mold plasticine fish together with your child and place them in a jar. nine0016
- Terrarium. Plant moss and other small, low-maintenance plants inside.
- Decorations for the holiday. Decorate the jars with glitter, make holes in the lids and install decorative elements, letters and numbers. A very original decoration is ready.
- Bird feeder. Few people realize that such delicious drinkers and bird feeders are obtained from an ordinary baby food can. In the sun, they will shimmer with all the colors of the rainbow and delight the eye. nine0016
- Storage for small items. From cans, not only beautiful things are obtained, but also very practical. Screw the lids to a wooden surface and you will get very convenient containers for storing small things.
- Candlesticks for the garden. Buy a lot of small candles, put each one in its own jar and hang them by ropes on tree branches. A beautiful setting for a romantic evening is ready.
- Container for growing onions. Green onions are a storehouse of nutrients that are so lacking in the cold season. Growing such an onion is not difficult. Pour water into the jar, put the bulb on top, in a few days we will get the first shoots. nine0016
- Pots for seedlings. It is convenient to plant parsley, dill and other herbs in small jars.
- Crafts from baby food jars. Such beautiful flowers in pots are easy to make yourself with your children. We circle the palm on a green sheet of cardboard, cut it out, gluing a flower on each finger. We put it in a pot-jar - a beautiful craft is ready. Such flowers will be a great gift for mom or grandmother by March 8th.
- Storage containers. In puree jars it is very convenient to store buttons, beads, beads. nine0016
- Pencil holders.
- Night lamps.
- Snow globe. A can of baby food makes a delicious snow globe. Just stick the figurine on the lid. Pour the baby oil and glitter into the jar, close the lid tightly and shake.
- Gift-treat for guests or children.
- Original frames. Just place photos inside the jar.
- Spice storage. Glass jars with screw-on lids keep spices fresh for a long time. nine0016
- Vases for flowers. Just dip the jar in the paint and get unusual vases for small flowers.
- Jelly mold. Small jars are great for making jelly. It looks beautiful and appetizing in them, one jar holds one serving, and the screw cap will help keep it in the refrigerator for a long time.
- Portion desserts. In small jars it is convenient to make portioned desserts.
- Refreshing cocktail in a jar.
- Candles. You can read how to make these candles here. nine0016
- Crafts. Small glass jars are a great base for crafts.
- Rubber storage. The advantages of transparent jars are obvious - it's easy to find the right one.
How do you use jars?
Share with friends
Crafts from baby food jars and tins
Hello. Can't live without needlework? Let's talk about what can be done from baby food jars? Having fed delicious puree to our beloved child, we cannot throw away an empty jar, but wash it and put it in the closet - it will suddenly come in handy. nine0003
I propose to consider several options for their use.
- How to make glass baby food jars
- DIY decorations for home and garden
- Decoration from a glass jar for the New Year: master class
What can be done with glass baby food jars
The jars can be used for their intended purpose for food storage. So that they are not boring, they need to be decorated. Spend time doing interesting things. Get original containers for seasonings and spices, jams. This can be done in various ways. nine0003
Painting with paints
Glass jars are painted with special stained glass paints, paints on glass. They are sold in stores specializing in art supplies. The work will require certain skills, because the jars are rounded and the drawing must be applied carefully, preventing the paint from spreading.
While the paint is not dry, it can be easily washed off with water, wiped off with a cotton pad moistened with a special solvent. You can pre-paint the jar in a solid color, thus making the background for the picture. If the paints are stained glass, then the background does not need to be done. nine0003
For painting, special stencils are used, which are sold in art stores, or they find a suitable picture on their own. Having attached the drawing to the glass from the inside of the jar, you need to circle the lines on the outside and color it.
Decoupage of baby food jars
Jars decorated using decoupage technique look impressive. The jar is painted white, preparing the background. Then stick the picture you like with decoupage glue. When a layer of paper dries, cover with decoupage varnish. Special glue and varnish can be replaced with simple PVA glue. nine0003
If you draw the symbol of the coming year on the jars, choose the right size tray or make your own out of the box, you will get a charming set of spices as a gift.
Decoupage with cloth, thread, twine
Baby food jars can be tied with thread, wrapped with twine, pasted over with braid. Although Winnie the Pooh said that an empty pot is much more valuable, it is still better that it is full. Decorated jars of jam or jam look great. nine0003
After they are filled with delicious content, close them with lids, cover with a piece of beautiful fabric and tie with a ribbon. Don't take your eyes off! A couple of such jars with different types of sweets and a wonderful gift is ready.
Small tins are useful for storing small things. It's easy to transform them, watch the video.
Decorating jars with polymer clay
An unusual way to change a plain glass jar beyond recognition is to decorate it with polymer clay. Material for creativity requires baking, and glass allows this procedure. Anything can be molded from polymer clay. For example, a real house for a gnome. nine0003
By letting your imagination run wild and with some effort, you can create a real miracle. And the best thing is that you can create with your child. Children love to make crafts.
You don't want to hide a work of art in the kitchen cabinet and take out the right container if necessary. It is better for such beauty to hang a shelf somewhere in a conspicuous place.
Jars can be carefully hung under the cabinet by attaching a metal surface to one of the cabinets, and glue magnets on the lids. You can screw the covers to the cabinet with self-tapping screws. Take a design approach to organizing space. nine0003
When decorating jars for the purpose of using them for storing food, you need to remember that the decor should not emit harmful substances.
Do-it-yourself decorations for home and garden
I'm talking about all kinds of interior things with a functional load. First of all, about candlesticks. The original candlestick is easy to make using the methods listed above. Small jars of baby puree, turning into a candlestick, can create coziness and a romantic mood in the room. nine0003
You can make vases, photo frames, chandeliers, funny figurines, needle beds and even educational toys for toddlers.
In addition to small glass jars, you can use tins from milk mixtures such as Nan, Nutrilon. They are perfect for storing pencils, scissors, and other little things. They can be painted, wrapped with twine, glued with buttons, decorated using decoupage technique. If you fasten several cans together, you get a real organizer. nine0003
Cans are used to make indoor and garden lamps.
You need to carefully make holes in the wall of the jar, and put a candle inside. Arrange the lamps in the right places or hang them. Tin cans also make pretty bird feeders.
Cans accumulated a decent amount? Paint them in different colors and arrange a cheerful flower bed on the wall of a country house.
Need bird protection? Scarecrow doesn't hurt. Tin cans will come to the rescue. And you can also make an original weather vane, bright and lively. nine0003
Not far off New, on the threshold we will think about souvenirs with our own hands. It is doubly pleasant to receive a homemade gift, it carries the love of the giver. Various beautiful little things for decoration and master classes on making interesting little things will help us make a present.
Remember the snow globes from the Christmas miracle movies? Such a ball is a symbol of hope and faith, only a happy life lies ahead. From the glass jars left after baby food, wonderful snow globes are obtained. nine0003
They are easy to make. But you can present a gift that is sure to make you smile.
Decoration from a glass jar for the New Year: master class
On New Year's Eve, parents and children create beautiful New Year crafts.
Perhaps someone would like to repeat the skill below. It turns out a pretty fairy-tale theme of winter. Material available. Prepare a light bulb with a battery in advance.
- brush (for making a Christmas tree)
- 2 screw caps
- dry snow or sparkles
- beads (for a snowman)
- distilled water
- glycerin (1 vial per liter of water).
- Materials at hand:
- moment glue
- green paint solution
- silicone sealant
- nail polish.
Making a craft:
- We need to make a Christmas tree. To do this, cut the brush with scissors. We give the correct form. Let's paint the tree green. nine0016
- We make holes in the lids with a knife. We pass a light bulb with a battery. Covers are glued with silicone. We cover the bulb with silicone, there will be no cracks.
- We glue the Christmas tree onto the silicone that has not yet hardened.